Barnet and Southgate College have partnered with London City Royals, one of the capital’s leading basketball teams, to offer an elite opportunity that includes developmental training, competition and support for 16-19-year olds who want to develop their performance and potential on and off the court.
The Barnet and Southgate College Basketball Academy and London City Royals (LCR) will provide a pathway for Britain’s best to progress to the top of the sport, and offer a high-level domestic route for top British players who may otherwise leave the UK to play professionally overseas.
With a purpose-built strategy to bring the best British players back to the UK, LCR provide a platform and opportunity for home-grown players to showcase their talent in front of friends and family all year round, while representing London on the national and international stage
London City Royals is one of London’s biggest professional basketball clubs. Currently playing in the British Basketball League, they won the BBL Trophy Cup in their first season and reached the BBL Playoff Finals at the O2.
The Royals have a management team with extensive experience in developing successful basketball initiatives, increasing interest and participation within the sport and managing high-achieving elite performance. They aim to nurture young talent and establish them as high-profile British Basketball players and inspire the next generation; provide them with accessible pathways through to the top of the game.
The Academy Key Objectives:
• To develop a high-profile elite basketball academy for 16-19-year olds that annually compete for national championships within top-tier domestic basketball leagues.
• To provide accessible pathways with a quality education alongside professional basketball coaching.
• To nurture a culture of excellence through the academy.
• To develop leadership skills, character and transferable life-skills through sports.
• To deliver vocational training, accredited coaching and officiating courses.
• To provide talented players with accessible pathways through to the LCR professional team.
• To support talented players through to gain scholarships to basketball universities in the USA and the UK as a part of the pathway.
What you will get:
The BSC Basketball Education Academy provides an opportunity for students aged 16 to 19 (students who are currently in year 11, 12 or 13) to receive up to 10 hours a week of high quality Basketball training Monday to Friday whilst also playing competitive matches against other colleges / academies and clubs.
Most importantly you will also receive full time education at Barnet and Southgate College with the Basketball combined with your main sports qualification and other exciting components into your full-time study programme.
Students can expect…
- 10hrs of Basketball development per week inclusive of on court training, Games Programme in AoC Sport league and cup competitions and Strength and Conditioning development.
- A range of courses available including BTEC Level 1 to Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport, NVQ Level 2 in Activity Leadership (Coaching); YMCA Level 2 and Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training and Gym Instruction or an A Level Study Package (wide variety of A Level subjects to choose from).
- Compulsory completion of Functional Skills/G.C.S.E in English and Maths if not already achieved.
- Basketball training and specific fitness sessions delivered by qualified coaches and complimentary staff
- Feedback on training and performance from professional staff
- Full London City Royals training kit (at a small cost)
- Free access to fully qualified physiotherapists / sports therapists at the college clinic
- Regular use of gym facilities at College
- Work experience / work placement within the sports industry
- Opportunity to complete UKCC level 1 & 2 coaching awards in basketball, England Basketball referee and table officials courses- which will enable you to work within the basketball industry, with a guarantee of employment for successful students.