Basketball Education Academy
“Our aim is to ensure that students will progress on and off the basketball court"
The BSC Basketball Education Academy provides an opportunity for Male students aged 16 to 19 (Must be currently year 11, 12 or 13) to receive up to 6 hours a week of high quality Basketball training Monday to Friday whilst also playing competitive matches against other colleges / academies and clubs.
Most importantly you will also receive full time education at Barnet and Southgate College with the Basketball combined with your main sports qualification and other exciting components into your full-time study programme.
Training and games take place at a variety of venues, with our student athletes also receiving free access to the fantastically equipped performance gym at Southgate Campus with staff on hand to provide strength and conditioning support to assist your athletic development.
Some of the benefits and highlights of the scheme are listed below: You can expect…
- A range of courses available including BTEC Level 1 to 3 in Sport, NVQ Activity Leadership (Coaching( and CYQ courses in Personal Training
- Compulsory completion of Functional Skills/G.C.S.E in English and Maths if not already achieved.
- Basketball training and specific fitness sessions delivered by SVTS qualified coaches and complimentary staff
- Feedback on training and performance from professional staff
- Full schedule / timetable of lessons / regular training and games (playing in a competitive colleges league)
- Full training kit
- Free access to fully qualified physiotherapists / sports therapists at the college
- Close links and progression to
Horizon Basketball Club
- Regular use of gym facilities at College
- Work experience / work placement within the sports industry
- Opportunity to complete UKCC level 1 & 2 coaching awards in basketball, England Basketball referee and table officials courses- which will enable you to work within the basketball industry, with a guarantee of employment for successful students.
Basketball practical days will take place 3 to 4 times a year.
If you are interested in attending the basketball trials or have any questions about the scheme, email :
or go onto