The Property and Construction courses at Barnet and Southgate College reflect real life jobs. We aim to be ahead of the curve with latest trends
If you are an employer and interested in finding out more about out bespoke construction skills training provision please email:
The jobs market is colossal – on our doorstep just take the £10billion Colindale regeneration scheme and the £6billion Brent Cross Cricklewood area plans to get a sense of the potential.
Construction is big business in the UK. In 2012, construction was worth £83 billion to the economy. That is the same as thirty-three years’ worth of turnover at Arsenal Football Club or building the London Eye one hundred times. Over two million people work in construction in the UK, around 260,000 of them in London alone.
You could find yourself working for a wide range of people. Private housing or commercial property accounted for over half the new work coming in at the start of 2013 but a fifth is from the public sector, like the government or local councils. So you could also be building schools, social housing or even taking part in huge infrastructure projects like Crossrail.
The new Construction Skills Centre at Colindale fundamentally changes the way Construction Training is delivered at the College, and allows us to respond robustly to the changing needs and demands of employers and the sector.
Alongside the full time 16-18 courses and apprenticeship training which is designed to give the all-round foundation and introduction to the trade that students need to move into the work, we will also be offering a huge choice of bespoke short courses for specific skills for progressing students, employers and those who already in the trade.
We currently run courses in:
- Professional gas training and re-assessment
- Carpentry and joinery
- Construction multi-skills
- Electrical installation and testing
- CSCS training and assessmment
And are developing provision in:
- Renewables – photovoltaic, cavity-wall insulation, cladding, BRAME, water capture
- Floor and walls – underfloor heating, tiling, rendering, dry lining, plastering
- Management – HE site management, project management, quantity surveying and self-employment
- Health and safety – CSC, ECS , asbestos removal, fire retarding, working at height
- Vehicles - fork life truck, cherry pickers, excavators, cranes, HGVS
- Heritage work
- Painting and Decorating